What a glorious summer we have been having here in Southwestern Ontario. I have spent way more time lazing about in my floaty chair than I have in the sewing room, to be sure!
But we have a wedding that we will soon be attending and a new dress is in order. With temperatures upwards of 30 degrees (that is 85+ for my American friends) I need something that is appropriate for the occasion, while allowing me to keep cool. B6016 is just the ticket. Here is the envelope picture and line drawing:
I chose View A and a linen viscose blend in a red and orange floral on a navy background. The pattern itself is relatively simple but I did make a couple of modifications. First and foremost I lengthened the bodice by one and a half inches. This seems to now be a standard thing for me to do on any of the McCalls, Vogue or Butterick patterns and makes a big difference in comfort.
I wish I had been a little more thoughtful when it came to cutting out the bodice. Most dress fronts are cut on a fold but for some reason, this one is not. It isn’t a big deal and I daresay the floral print is abstract enough and has movement such that the impact is minimal. If I had it to do again however, I would add the seam allowance in and cut it on the fold.
Here are the pattern pieces for View A, minus the pockets as I did not want them.
Until then, take care and stay cool.
Bye for now,